In the past several weeks I’ve been intentionally staying away from TV, and have done less reading of newspapers. Though this has been partly imposed due to work load and school work, the intention has been fueled also by the inundation of news coverage about the impending local elections in Albania.
My work experiences have exposed me sufficiently to understanding how the Albanian media works. Also the fact that I focus constantly on marketing and communication, has made me even more to want to repudiate the communication methods employed by the political parties and their media dogs. I do not distinguish nor do I discriminate against one or the other political spectrum. My concern is that of a citizen who wants for his/her right to make an informed decision – respected especially by those who are responsible to inform me! Most importantly, I do not want to be feed bull… by anyone, much less at a time when there are truly dire needs affecting me, my family, my business and the Albanian people as a whole.
But much to my concern is the fact that the Albanian people and businesses are so much at the mercy of politics which in turn affects their daily lives in more ways than what most people can control. I do want to express my outrage and indignation at the current situation and the way that politics continues to impose itself on our daily lives and well-being. Obviously we are still a long way off to the practices of true democracy and pluralism of ideas.
The challenge: what to do?
Obviously, most everyone can and do present their own outrage about the current situation that we find ourselves in. And it is important to get a good understanding of what is happening so as to make informed decisions about what you and I need to do.
So what can you and I do? These are just a few suggestions:
- do not spend your time being consumed by politically saturated media (both visual and printed);
- find other more fruitful and useful things to do with your time i.e. invest in your business, invest in your family by spending time with them, invest in your community by being a model neighbor and citizen;
- if politicians or their supporters come up to you ask them if they have kept what they promised last time, not what may be done in the future if they get elected or reelected;
- learn something new, get a book to read, don’t waste your time listening and talking about junk;
- if your friends/bodies start talking about politics, change subject!
I dare you to offer your own practical suggestions about what to do in the current and ongoing situation. I know that there are many more smart people out there who have better ideas and practical suggestions than mine. I just want to get the conversation and focused and going in the right direction….