Fellow blogger, Fiona, recently made a trip around Albania after which she put together a short post with pictures and impressions about 15 things she learned from the different cities and towns she traveled too.
1. A EUR20/night one star hotel in Himara sometimes has no hot water.
2. A EUR100/night five star hotel in Saranda sometimes has no hot water.
3. Himara is now 20 minutes drive from Dhermi, thanks to a new coastal road.
4. Sometimes your favourite seafood restaurant in Saranda from 2008 is no longer your favourite in 2009.
5. Berisha travels via helicopter.
6. Ksamil is one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen in my life.
7. Saranda is booming, and may overtake Gjirokastra as the southern hub of Albania.
8. Police in Gjirokastra are petty and mean.
9. Permet is the city of “cannot find any flowers” and the city of “getting lost on the way to Korca”.
10. Giving locals a lift in the car can be a major educational resource.
11. Fresh fish from the pond to the plate in 10 minutes tastes fantastic!
12. It takes 6 hours to drive from Gjirokastra to Korca.
13. Korca has great coffee, magic byrek, and a serious shortage of nice hotels
14. Thanks to a new highway, Korca to Pogradec is only 30 minutes drive
15. The view of the lake and mountains in Pogradec is just breaktaking
The final (extra) thing I learned on my drive around Albania, is that it is just so beautiful and amazing…